Venice - Campanile di San Marco - Venice Italy

Venice - Campanile di San Marco - Venice Italy

Oil on Canvas

H 80m x W 60cm

2009

Unframed
 

DESCRIPTION
St Mark's Campanile (Campanile di San Marco in Italian) is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica  in Venice, Italy, located in the Piazza San Marco. It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.


The tower is 98.6 metres (323 ft) tall, and stands alone in a corner of St Mark's Square, near the front of the basilica. It has a simple form, the bulk of which is a fluted brick square shaft, 12 metres (39 ft) wide on each side and 50 metres (160 ft) tall, above which is a loggia surrounding the belfry housing five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show the Lion of St. Mark and the female representation of Venice (la Giustizia: Justice). The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel  The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in its present form in 1912 after the collapse of 1902. On the far side of the Piazzetta is the side wall of the Doge's Palace and the Libreria  seen from the Lagoon.

EXHIBITIONS
London - Multiple